OUR HISTORY

 

The congregation moved across the street to 4058 St. Augustine Road.  The small congregation had to relocate to another site because the 'little house' had been damaged in a lightning storm.  At the very inception, the founding body consisted of approximately nine families.  She was inspired to invite Bishop James Hinsley (who would later become the first pastor) for a revival.  A woman by the name of Gertrude Thomas was instrumental in the organizing of a congregation that consisted of a few members who met regularly in a little house for prayer and bible study.  In 1938 the Southside Church Of God In Christ was founded.

 

The revival service was highly successful in that several members were added to the congregation. Bishop Hinsley pastored for six years prior to returning to Atlanta, GA.  During his tenure the church was voted into the national Church Of God In Christ, Inc.

Following the departure of Bishop Hinsley, several ministers alternated as preachers and leaders of the congregation.  Elder J. E. Williams was later appointed as the successor of Bishop J. J. Hinsley, therefore becoming the second pastor of the church.  Because the church was located on the Southside of Jacksonville, it was named the Southside Church of God in Christ.

 

 In 1979,a son of the church, Elder Edward Robinson, was appointed to succeed Bishop J. E. Williams as its new pastor.  He engineered an extensive church reorganizational plan that focused on ministerial, budgetary, spiritual growth and personal development.

 In 1981, the edifice on St. Augustine Road was completed and dedicated.  The following decade the church began to experience accelerated growth in membership and ministries.

Superintendent Robinson proved to be a great visionary. The vision to expand the ministry at Southside Church of God in Christ included facilities that would accommodate the church’s needs.  Under his leadership, the congregation recognized the extensive needs of the ministry and rallied behind his efforts to make the vision become a reality. “The Miracle On Emerson Street” was completed in November 2003, the same year that Superintendent Robinson was appointed to the office of Bishop, thereby becoming the Jurisdictional Prelate of the Florida Central Second Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction.

 

​​



SOUTHSIDE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST

2179 Emerson Street

Jacksonville, FL 32207

Phone: (904) 398-1625

Fax: (904) 398-1624

Email: southsidecogic@gmail.com

​​

© 2013-2019 by SOUTHSIDE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST

All rights reserved

Florida Central Second Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction

of the Church of God In Christ, Inc.
​Bishop Edward Robinson, Sr.
Jurisdictional Prelate
                   

​Jurisdictional Headquarters: 

2179 Emerson Street - Jacksonville, FL 32207 

Phone: (904) 398-1625

Fax: (904) 398-1624

WEEKLY SERVICES. PLEASE JOIN US!

SUNDAYS

8 AM Worship Service

9:30 AM Sunday School

11 AM Worship Service (2nd Sundays are Youth Sundays)

TUESDAYS

5:00 AM -6:00 AM Early Morning Prayer Line

Dial-in at: 319-527-3512

Access code: 550308#

(Standard long distance rates may apply)

12PM Noonday Prayer and 1PM Bible Band (Bible Study)

(Prayer Clinic with Prophet Follins on 2nd & 4th Tuesdays)

WEDNESDAYS

7PM Bible Study/Church School for all ages

FRIDAYS

7PM Worship Service